Showing you that this sauce is super easy to make yourself. Just a handful of ingredients and a skillet is all you need. So are you ready to learn how to make ths barbecue sauce recipe? Let’s get started!
When you hear barbecue sauce you might think of Summer but this recipe goes can be used in any season.
This sauce might be the best barbecue sauce recipe for ribs but you can eat with:
- Tortilla burger – put some on your burger instead of salsa
- Quesadillas – great for dipping your quesadillas in the sauce
- Breakfast burrito – even your breakfast burrito with egg tastes better with this barbecue sauce
- Ribs – either on the barbecue or in a slow cooker
Because you use a bit of brown sugar barbecue sauce will caramelize when it reaches about 320℉/160℃.
When you use this barbecue sauce make sure you put your meat on direct fire from your barbecue or under the broiler.
When you use barbecue sauce with a barbecue do not rub the sauce directly on the meat. Make sure the meat is done and add the sauce for the last 10 minutes before you take the meat of the bbq.
If you put it on too early the sauce can be too thick and will prevent the meat from getting done.
When you want to use the barbecue sauce take out the amount of sauce you need. Do not dip a brush in the jar to put it on the meat if you want to keep your sauce fresh.
Easy Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
This barbecue sauce recipe required a number of ingredients. Make sure you have the following available:
- Olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- Chili powder hot
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Sofrito tomato sauce
- Apple vinegar
How To Make Barbecue Sauce
To make this barbecue sauce recipe start by finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and add the chopped onion and garlic.
Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir the onion and garlic through the pan. This prevents them from going brown.
Add the soy sauce and apple vinegar and rapidly stir it through the onion mix. Immediately add the sofrito tomato sauce and stir.
Now it is time to add the chili powder, syrup, Worcestershire sauce.
Finally, add the brown sugar and mustard. Stir to dissolve. Let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes while you stir occasionally.
I do not use any water in this recipe because I want to be able to store it. It is ok if the sauce is a little thick. Take the pan off the heat and let the sauce cool.
Put in a glass jar for storage.
Store Barbecue Sauce
When you let the barbecue sauce cool you can store it:
- Room temperature – In a glass jar or container and keep it in a dark cool place for a couple of months
- Refrigerator – Store in the fridge in a glass jar as well
- Freezer – You could freeze this sauce. Even though you do not use water when you thaw it will be more watery than when you make it fresh. For this sauce, this is my least favorite option
I used Frito tomato sauce in this recipe which is a tomato sauce made with onion and garlic that has simmer for a couple of hours.
A lot of barbecue sauces require ketchup. You can use ketchup in this sauce as well but be aware that ketchup contains a lot of sugar.
In 100 grams of ketchup, you find 22 grams of sugar whereas Frito has only 6 grams of sugar in 100 grams.
This recipe contains brown sugar so it can caramelize when you put it under the grill.
Have fun with this easy barbecue sauce recipe!
This recipe goes great with lots of barbecue and grill recipes you can find on Fast Food Bistro our other website that is dedicated to learning how you can make fast and tasty bistro-style recipes!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
This barbecue sauce recipe is tried and tested. Why buy it in the store when you can make this recipe yourself and perfect it to your taste.
- ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder hot
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 300 ml sofrito
- ¾ tablespoon mustard
- ½ tablespoon apple vinegar
- Finely chop the onion and garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir the onion and garlic through the pan
- Add the soy sauce and apple vinegar and rapidly stir it through the onion mix
- Immediately add the sofrito tomato sauce and stir
- Now it is time to add the chili powder, syrup, Worcestershire sauce
- Finally add the brown sugar and mustard. Stir to dissolve. Let is simmer on low heat for 10 minutes while you stir occasionally
- Take of the heat and let it cool before storing in a glass jar
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 223; Fat: 15.6g; Carbs: 11g; Protein: 10.1g