Chicken carnitas prepared in the Crockpot Express is on the menu today and it will definitely make you happy. The chicken is tender and crispy. So are you ready to learn how to make chicken carnitas? Let’s get started!
Pressure Cooked Chicken Carnitas
It only takes you half an hour in the Crockpot.
Chicken is an easy recipe to shred even if you do not have a Crockpot but chicken is more tender when cooked in the Crockpot Express than boiled.
This recipe is made with chicken breast but you can also substitute with chicken thighs. A chicken breast is drier than a thigh but both yield tender meat from the Crockpot.
Using the right liquids adds to the tenderness of the chicken. In this recipe, it is lime, orange juice, and beer.
Beer can be used as a tenderizer for meats as it contains enzymes that break down tough fibers in your meat.
Juice also has a tenderizing effect on chicken and really penetrates the meat.
Chicken Carnitas Ingredients
To make this Crockpot chicken carnitas recipe you need to get the following ingredients:
How To Make Chicken Carnitas
Finely chop the onion and garlic. Now all you need to do is put the chicken breast in the Crockpot Express.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken breast then add the onion and garlic on top.
Now it is time for all the liquids so the lime juice, orange juice, and the beer. Top with the tomato salsa and you are done.
All you need to do is close the lid and put the Crockpot Express on Meat/Stew and high pressure. Turn the Crockpot to 30 minutes and it will let you know once the Crockpot is done.
Turn your oven to broil and shred the chicken in the meanwhile. Put some parchment paper on a baking tray and divide your shredded chicken on the baking tray.
Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of liquid from the Crockpot and put it on the shredded poultry before you put the baking tray under the broiler.
Leave in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the carnitas is golden and crispy.
Make Chicken Carnitas In A Traditional Slow Cooker
You can still make these delicious chicken carnitas if you do not have a Crockpot Express but only a traditional Crockpot slow cooker.
Follow the same process and how to prepare chicken, spices, and liquids. For the traditional Crockpot set it to:
- HIGH – for 3 hours
- LOW – for 6 hours
When the cooking time is done shred the chicken and then follow the instruction to broil the carnitas and make them crispy and golden.
Can You Make Chicken Carnitas Ahead
Just wait to grill the chicken meat under the grill or in an Air Fryer. Heat under the grill when you are ready to serve it.
How To Store Chicken Carnitas
heat If you have leftover carnitas or you made a big batch you can store it in several ways. Let the chicken cool within an hour.
- Refrigerator – you can store your carnitas in an airtight food container or in a Ziploc bag. Label it and store it for up to 3 days
- Freezer – if you want to keep it longer I recommend you store it in the freezer. Again cool and store it in a freezer-friendly food container or resealable bag. Label it and store it for up to 3 months
How To Reheat Carnitas
You have several options to reheat your carnitas. Depending on whether you have frozen the carnitas let them thaw in the fridge overnight.
You then have the following options:
- Oven – you can follow the instruction as described in the recipe. Turn on the grill/broiler in your oven to preheat and put the carnitas on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Divide the carnitas on the baking sheet and bake the carnitas. Keep a close eye as it can burn really fast. Move the chicken carnitas around until all of it is crispy
- Air Fryer – you can also reheat carnitas in an Air Fryer. Preheat the Air Fryer to 400℉ and put the carnitas in a Cake barrel or Air Fryer pizza plate. Reheat the carnitas for 10 minutes and check every 3 minutes. Turn the chicken if required
- Cast-iron skillet – you can also reheat carnitas in a cast-iron skillet. Preheat it to medium-hot and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the carnitas and move them around the skillet until warm
Serve Carnitas With
You can eat chicken carnitas perfectly on their own with potatoes or rice and vegetables. You can also serve it with:
- Crispy crunchy corn tacos – Eat with crunchy corn tacos
- Soft fajitas tortillas – you can eat them with soft fajitas tortillas take some tomato salsa and carnitas and you have a great meal.
- Scallion pancakes are a little flaky and with lots of flavor with the sesame oil and scallion. A great combination
- Roasted tomato salsa – put some of this salsa on your carnitas
- Garlic and herbs chickpea tortilla – another great combination to eat your chicken carnitas with
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Crockpot chicken carnitas in the pressure cooker. Are done in no time making soft tender meat. The Crockpot express has a slow and pressure cooker option.
- 200 gram chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp lime
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 can beer (25 cl)
- ⅓ cup salsa
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Put the chicken breast in the Crockpot Express. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken breast. Then add the onion and garlic on top of the chicken
- Add the lime juice, orange juice and the beer. Top with the tomato salsa
- Close the lid and put the Crockpot Express on Meat/Stew and high pressure. Turn the Crockpot to 30 minutes
- When done turn the oven to broil. Shred the chicken in the mean while. Put parchment paper on a baking tray and divide the shredded chicken on the baking tray.
- Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of liquid from the Crockpot and put it on the chicken. Before you put the baking tray under the broiler. Leave in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 258; Fat: 2.7g; Carbs; 21.6g; Protein: 23.8g;