These tacos are super fast to make. In less than 15 minutes you have these tacos on the table. If ground turkey is not on your menu regularly this recipe is a great reason to make it more often. So are you ready to learn how to make ground turkey tacos? Let’s get started!
There are many reasons to make your tacos with ground turkey. Let me sum it up for you:
- High protein – turkey meat is very high on protein about 27 grams per 100 gram of turkey
- Low fat – it is relatively low fat less than 10 grams
- Low calories – the amount of calories is also low only 200 calories per 100 grams
- Fast cooking – cooking with ground turkey is done in record time. This recipe is done in less than 15 minutes
- Tasty – It contains a little bit more fat than chicken but it also has more flavor and taste that is why ground turkey meat is such a great ingredient
Want to know the best part? Ground turkey meat has a total of zero carbs.
Yes, you are reading this right ground turkey contains 0 carbs. So, if you are on a Keto diet or a low-carb diet, ground turkey is your best friend.
You can season it with your favorite spice blend and adjust the meat to your liking e.g. with:
If you substitute the flour tortillas for iceberg lettuce you can make this turkey taco recipe totally Keto friendly.
Ground Turkey Tacos Ingredients
To make this healthy tacos recipe you have to get a number of ingredients. Put the following products on your grocery list:
- Flour tortillas
- Ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Red Onion
- White onion
- Red bell pepper
- Homemade Mexican seasoning
- Tomato puree
- Jalapeno pepper
- Avocado diced
- Iceberg lettuce
How To Make Ground Turkey Tacos
To make this healthy ground turkey taco recipe you start with heating a skillet. When the cast-iron skillet is simmering add a tablespoon of olive oil.
Then add the finely chopped onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic and cook until soft and translucent.
This takes about 5 minutes. Now it is time to add the ground turkey meat. Pan-fry the meat and move it around constantly so the meat can brown.
When the ground turkey is just getting color, add the Mexican seasoning and stir the meat again.
Add the tomato puree and stir it through the meat and add water. Turn to a medium simmer and let the meat cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Season the turkey with salt and pepper to taste, if you like. Now it is time to plate your tacos.
Start with the finely chopped iceberg lettuce.
Divide the taco meat on the small flour tortillas. Decorate with sliced avocado, finely sliced tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro.
Your tacos are ready to serve.
How To Keep Ground Turkey Moist?
If you cook turkey it can get dry really fast. To avoid this you can do a number of things:
- Liquids – add enough liquids like water, stock, or oil when you cook with ground turkey. Do not cook it too long because it will dry out
- Vegetables – by adding ingredients like onion, sweet red peppers, and mushrooms you add moisture to your ground turkey that will retain in the meat
- Simmer – as soon as the turkey is cooked turn your stove a low to a medium simmer. If necessary put a lid on the pan. This will keep moisture inside the pan and the turkey
These tacos are great to eat as is but you can make them even better by adding your favorite toppings like:
- Sour cream
Can You Make Ground Turkey Tacos Ahead?
Yes, these turkey tacos are a great meal-prep dish. You can make ahead as they are the perfect freezer meal.
Add the lettuce when you are serving the tacos not before storing it as lettuce doesn’t freeze well.
How To Store Turkey Tacos
When you want to store tacos let them cool completely before storing. You can wrap them individually or you can store them in an airtight food container.
- Refrigerator – you can store them in the fridge for at least two days. As mentioned either wrap them in foil, in a food container, or in a Ziploc bag
- Freezer – want to keep them longer you can store the tacos in the freezer. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. Store them in a food container, Ziploc bag, or foil
How To Reheat Turkey Tacos
You have several ways to reheat your turkey tacos. You can reheat:
- Oven – if you wrapped the tacos in aluminum foil you can reheat them in the aluminum foil. You can also unwrap them and put them in ceramic cookware. In that case, cover the baking dish with foil and warm them for 12-15 minutes in a preheated oven set to 400℉
- Air Fryer – you can also reheat them in your Air Fryer. The easiest way is to leave the tacos wrapped in aluminum foil. Preheat the Air Fryer to 375℉ for 3 minutes and heat the tacos for 8-10 or until warm
- Cast-iron skillet – preheat your cast-iron skillet to medium and add 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Line up the tacos in the skillet and warm gradually for 10-15 minutes or until the ground beef has an internal temperature of at least 170℉
More Turkey Recipes
If you love turkey meat then have a look at these lovely turkey recipes:
- Turkey enchilada bowl – a lovely turkey enchilada bowl with lots of vegetables, rice, and tasty turkey
- Pinwheels with turkey meat – looking for a great snack? Try these turkey pinwheels with cream cheese
- Tortilla turkey club sandwich – want a different type of club sandwich? Make this tortilla turkey club sandwich
- Turkey lunch box idea – wrap it up with these tortilla wraps and add vegetables and turkey meat
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Have fun making this ground turkey taco recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for the best turkey tacos? Try this ground turkey tacos recipe. Tasty and fast to make, in less than 15 minutes.
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons homemade Mexican seasoning (note 1)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoon tomato puree
- ¼ jalapeno pepper
- ½ avocado sliced
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet until medium-hot. Add a tablespoon olive oil
- Add the finely chopped onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic and cook until soft and translucent. Takes about 5 minutes
- Add the ground turkey meat. Pan-fry the meat until the meat is brown
- When the meat is getting color add the Mexican seasoning and stir the meat again
- Now add the tomato puree and stir it through the meat and add water. Bring to a simmer and let the meat cook for 4 to 5 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, if you like. Plate your tacos and you are ready to serve
Shop This Recipe
Note 1 - you can substitute the Mexican seasoning for taco seasoning
Calories: 418; Fat: 20g; Carbs: 29g; Protein: 25g;