It is so easy to make your own homemade tostada shells so then you need some great toppings to make it the best tostada. A great recipe to make on a busy weeknight. It is done in no time and you get a super tasty dinner. So are you ready to learn how to make ground turkey tostadas? Let’s get started!
Ground Turkey Recipe
One of the best things about ground turkey is that it is easy to prepare. It cooks really fast compared to ground beef or pork.
Chicken and turkey can have less taste which is why we flavor them using taco seasoning but you can also you Mexican seasoning or fajitas seasoning.
They all have a little bit of heat to them which works really great with turkey.
Can You Substitute Ground Turkey For Ground Chicken?
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey for ground chicken just be aware that ground chicken contains less fat compared to turkey.
This can cause it to dry out more which is why we use turkey. It has more fat and as a result more flavor to your filling.
You can also combine both ground turkey and ground chicken.
Ground Turkey Tostadas Ingredients
To make this turkey tostada recipe you need the following ingredients:
- Tostada shells
- Ground turkey
- Taco seasoning
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Avocado salsa (optional)
How To Make Ground Turkey Tostadas
To make this recipe start with preparing tostadas from corn tortillas of course you can buy your tostadas.
Finely chop the bell pepper, onion. Dice the cherry tomatoes and mince the garlic.
Heat a cast-iron skillet with olive oil to medium-hot. Then add the ground turkey.
Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and stir until brown. Then add the chopped bell pepper, onion, and minced garlic.
Stir to combine and soften the onion bell pepper mixture.
Then add the diced cherry tomatoes and stir through again before sprinkling the turkey meat with taco seasoning.
Stir before adding the tomato salsa and water and let it simmer for 5 minutes
Take a tostada and add the ground turkey mixture and top with shredded Romain or iceberg lettuce and avocado salsa.
Can You Make Turkey Tostadas Ahead
Yes, you can make these turkey tostadas ahead of time. Just prepare the turkey filling and the tostadas separately.
You can assemble the tostadas when you are serving them.
How To Store Ground Turkey Tostadas
If you made a batch with ground turkey to make this tostada recipe you can store the leftovers.
Always let the leftovers or the big batch cool completely first. Store the ingredients separately.
So store the tostadas separately from the ground turkey filling. The tostadas can be stored in an airtight food container.
- Refrigerator – you can store the turkey filling in the fridge for up to 2 days. Store the filling in an airtight food container
- Freezer – want to store it longer it is recommended to store it in the freezer using a freezer-friendly food container. You can store it for up to 3 months
How To Reheat Turkey Tostadas
There are several ways to reheat the tostada filling and tostadas.
The easiest way to reheat your tostadas is to wrap them in aluminum foil and heat them in an Air Fryer or oven at 350℉ for 2 or 3 minutes:
For the filling you have the following options to reheat:
- Skillet – preheat your cast-iron skillet to medium and add about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the leftover turkey filling and stir it through to let it heat
- Air Fryer – you can also reheat the turkey filling in an Air Fryer. Preheat the Air Fryer to 350℉ with a cake barrel inside. Put the filling in a cake barrel and stir. Cover with foil and let it heat for 5 minutes or until warm and stir
- Oven – you can also warm it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375℉ while you put the leftover ground turkey filling in an oven dish. Wrap the tostadas in foil and add them into the oven. Heat the filling and tostadas for 7 to 10 minutes or until warm. Stir the filling halfway through the reheating time
Serve Ground Turkey Tostadas With
You can serve these tostadas with a lot of tasty side dishes like:
- Mexican rice
- Mexican potatoes
- Pico de gallo
- Mexican Street corn salad
- Rice salad with tuna
- Tortilla strips
- Refried beans
Made a recipe please tag @thetortiliachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST, and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and updates.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
A fast weeknight dinner these ground turkey tostadas are super easy to make and on the table in no time. Also great to serve for lunch.
- 4 tostada shells
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Avocado salsa (optional)
- Prepare your tostadas
- Finely chop the bell pepper, onion. Dice the cherry tomatoes and mince the garlic
- Heat a cast-iron skillet with olive oil to medium-hot. Then add the ground turkey. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and stir until brown. Then add the chopped bell pepper, onion, and minced garlic
- Stir to combine and soften the onion bell pepper mixture
- Then add the diced cherry tomatoes and stir through again before sprinkling the turkey meat with taco seasoning. Stir before adding the tomato salsa and water and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Take a tostada and add the ground turkey mixture and top with shredded Romain or iceberg lettuce and avocado salsa
- Serve immediately
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 935; Fat: 59g; Carbs: 39g; Protein: 64g;