These homemade taco shells are made with corn tortillas and are super crispy! If you made Mexican tortillas you can also make this homemade taco shells recipe in no time. Today we will show you how to do that. So are you ready to learn how to make taco shells in the oven? Let’s get started!
Why You Love These Taco Shells
When you master making these crispy crunchy corn tacos a world of opportunities will open. And what is not to love about them?
Low calorie as they are oven-baked, golden, crisp, and crunchy.
Imagine how these corn taco shells will marinate the air in your home with the smell of roasting corn. Who doesn’t love the smell of tacos in the oven?
Some nice bean stew chili on the stove while the tacos are getting all nice and crisp. Because but tacos are the ultimate comfort food.
They go with just about anything.
If I’m in a food slum and do not know what to cook (a feeling we all know too well) tacos are one of my go-to recipes.
See How To Make Homemade Taco Shells
Want to see how you can make homemade corn tacos yourself? You can follow along and watch the instruction on this page.
Homemade Tacos Shells Ingredients
If you want to make this taco shells recipe you only need two ingredients and your trusted oven. Make certain you have:
- Homemade corn tortillas
- Pam cooking spray
How To Make Homemade Taco Shells
The best of these crispy crunchy taco shell recipes is that they are gluten-free and low fat.
The only fat that I use is cooking spray which contains 4 calories a spray. That is it.
So no oil is required for the tortillas and no deep-frying of any kind. This olive oil cooking spray is enough to get that crispy crunch for these homemade tacos.
The only things you need for this recipe are homemade corn tortillas, cooking spray, and an oven. Cook them in the oven at 400℉/200℃.
If you make fresh corn tortillas put them in a tortilla warmer or a fresh kitchen towel.
Then let them slowly cool off before further use.
The warmth of the corn tortillas will steam them a little to make them nice and pliable. To give the tortillas the shape of a taco I fold them on a grill rack.
To prevent them from losing their shape I use a baking tray underneath the grill rack to hold them up a little.
These crispy taco shells are not shaped as perfectly as store-bought ones nor do they cook as evenly but that is the charm of homemade.
Don’t these look good enough to eat? Even without filling looks appetizing.
Can You Make Taco Shells Ahead?
You can make taco shells ahead and store them but it is very easy to make taco shells fresh and serve them immediately.
Taco shells are delicate so you can only store them in an airtight food container to help keep their shape and also keep them fresh.
How To Store Homemade Taco Shells
When you make taco shells they taste best when consumed straight away. If you make a big batch of taco shells can store them.
The best way to store them are:
- Room temperature – crispy taco shells can be stored at room temperature. Store them in an airtight food container or in a resealable plastic bag. You can store them for about 3 to 5 days. It is recommended to reheat them when used again
It is not recommended to store hard taco shells in:
- Refrigerator – when you store hard taco shells in the fridge they will go soft due to the moisture of the cold air in the fridge.
- Freezer – the same applies to the freezer. As taco shells contain oil they will go soggy when you put them in cold conditions and then take them out again.
How To Reheat Taco Shells
If you already cooked your taco shells in the oven you can reheat them. You do not need to brown them so you can reheat them at a lower temperature.
You can reheat them using:
- Oven – preheat the oven to 350℉/175℃. Put some aluminum foil in between the shells and put them on a baking sheet. Heat for 3-4 minutes or until warm
- Air Fryer – if you want to reheat 1 or 2 taco shells use the Air Fryer. Preheat the Air Fryer to 325℉/160℃ for 3 minutes. Add some aluminum foil in between the shells and heat for 2-3 minutes or until warm
What To Serve With Homemade Taco Shells
You have a variety of options to fill these taco shells with. Take a look at the following recipes:
- Minced beef – this ground beef recipe is perfect to eat with corn tacos
- Pulled chicken bean stew
- Cod and vegetable stir fry – substitute the cauliflower tacos in this recipe for these crispy taco shells
- Roasted vegetables and greens
- Shrimp and asparagus
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS IN YOUR INBOX!
Today you will master how to make taco shells in the oven. Made with corn tortillas. Low fat and oven-baked taco shells recipe.
- 4 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- baking tray
- grill rack
- Pre heat the oven at 400 ℉/ 200 ℃
- Take a lightly warm corn tortilla
- Spray the cooking spray on the corn tortilla
- Turn and spray the other side of the corn tortilla
- Fold the corn tortilla and use the grill rack to hold the taco.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes until nice crispy and brown
I put a baking tray underneath the grill rack to lift the tacos up a little so they can keep their shape. Serve the tacos straight out of the oven. Do not store as they will lose their shape and may also loose their crunch.
Calories: 58; Fat: 2g; Carbs 11g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 38mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g;