Fill your tacos, add it to a burrito bowl or a salad. You can not go wrong with this Mexican dinner recipe. It fits a low carb diet and totally gluten-free. So are you ready to learn how to make Instant Pot Mexican shredded beef? Let’s get started!
So you do not want to fill up your tacos with taco meat, turkey, or chicken then this recipe is for you.
If you are preparing this recipe make a big batch, so you have enough meat if you need a fast weeknight dinner.
Because this recipe is also perfect for meal prep. What I love about this recipe is, it is another set and shred recipe.
The Instant Pot makes every beef stew meat go soft and tender.
Every time I’m pleasantly surprised when I put beef in the Instant Pot and after as little as an hour the beef falls apart.
Mexican Shredded Beef Ingredients
To make pressure cooker Mexican shredded beef you need a number of ingredients.
Have the following ready when you start:
- Beef stew meat like chuck roast
- Chili powder
- Dried minced onion
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Red onion
- White onion
- Beef broth
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
How To Make Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
To make this recipe start with the seasoning. Take a bowl and combine the chili powder, minced onion, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir to combine and add the beef to the seasoning. You can dice the meat but I leave it as is so I shred once it is done.
Turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute function. It will heat and when the pot is warm add the olive oil.
Now add the seasoned beef and brown the meat on all sides. This takes a couple of minutes.
Then add the beef broth or water and wait until it boils. Cancel the saute function and close the lid. Secure and turn the pressure valve to sealing and either set the preset stew or select Manual.
Adjust the timer to 45 minutes and cook at high pressure.
If you have time let the pressure cooker natural release for 10-15 minutes else natural release for 5 minutes then quick release.
Take the beef out of the Instant Pot and put it on a plate or cutting board. Use two forks to shred beef.
Return the shredded beef to the Instant Pot, stir to soak up the cooking juices. You can add some lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro.
Your beef is ready to serve.
Serve Mexican Shredded Beef With
You can serve this beef with some white rice and vegetables but it the ideal ingredient to use with:
- Burrito bowl
- Gyro bread
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For Shredded Beef?
You can use a variety of beef cuts for shredded beef. If you go to the supermarket or bother you can as for:
- Chuck roast or shoulder roast (which is the same)
- Chuck eye post
- Rump roast
- Arm chuck roast
How To Store Mexican Shredded Beef
If you make a big batch of beef or you have leftovers you have a number of options to store it.
An added advantage of making this beef ahead of time is, it tastes even better:
- Refrigerator – you can store the beef in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days
- Freezer – if you plan on storing it longer you can put the beef in a freezer friendly airtight container or ziplock bag and store it for up to 3 months
How To Reheat Mexican Shredded Beef
You can reheat your beef in the Instant Pot as well. Whether it is frozen or from the fridge that doesn’t matter.
Put it in the instant pot and add 1/4 cup water. Add the beef and close the lid.
Secure and select Manual for minutes. You can either quick release or natural release.
Once done stir the beef. If it is to watery press the saute button and let some of the water evaporate.
This can take about 5 minutes.
Which Instant Pot Is Best For Mexican Shredded Beef
Fortunately, you can also get a ceramic liner pot for the Instant Pot. This makes cleaning a breeze and the beef will not stick.
You can also make this recipe in the larger Instant Pot 8QT or the smaller Instant Pot 3QT.
You might have to test especially with the larger 8QT to see if the amount works the same as mentioned in the recipe.
I’m certain other brands pressure cookers will work just as well.
The Instant Pot is great because it not only cut the cooking time of beef stew recipes in half but you can set and shred.
Walk away and go do something else. By the time the pressure cooker beeps the beef is done.
It is soft, moist, juicy, and tender. Everything you want for this shredded beef.
Other Shredded Recipes
If you love shredded recipes take a look at these recipes:
- Slow cooker pork carnitas
- How to make shredded chicken
- Shredded chicken enchiladas
- Easy shredded chicken tacos
- Shredded brisket fajitas
- Instant Pot barbacoa
- Carnitas burrito bowl
- Crockpot chicken carnitas
- Shredded chicken burrito
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
This Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef is the best. It is moist, it is tender, juicy and so tasty. Done in an hour!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into small chunks (chuck roast or round roast works well)
- ¾ cup beef broth or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Cilantro to decorate
- Take a bowl and combine chili powder, minced onion, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Stir to combine and add the beef to the seasoning
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute function. When the pot is warm add the olive oil
- Now add the seasoned beef and brown the meat on all sides. This takes a couple of minutes
- Then add the beef broth or water and bring to the boil
- Cancel the saute function and close the lid. Secure and turn the pressure valve to sealing and either set the preset stew or select Manual
- Adjust the timer to 45 minutes and cook at high pressure
- Natural release for 10-15 minutes or natural release for 5 minutes then quick release
- Take the beef out of the Instant Pot and put it on a plate or cutting board.
- Use two forks to shred beef
- Return the shredded beef to the Instant Pot, stir to soak up the cooking juices. You can add some lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro
- Ready to serve
Shop This Recipe
You can dice the meat but I leave it as is and shred once the beef is done
Calories: 510g; Fat: 23g; Carbs: 3g; Protein: 75g;