This recipe only requires 3 ingredients and is super easy to make. So no need to buy your corn tortillas in the supermarket. So are you ready to learn how to make corn tortillas? Let’s get started!
The corn tortilla is the base of the Mexican kitchen and is used in a multitude of recipes. They are less pliable than flour tortillas but have much more flavor due to the masa harina flour.
I always used store-bought tortillas thinking it would be either too difficult or take too much time to make them from scratch.
However, that is not the case it is so easy to make Mexican tortillas.
They may not look the same as store-bought tortillas or taste the same (homemade corn tortillas taste much better in my opinion).
The best part is you can use them as a base for other recipes like:
If you are wondering are corn tortillas gluten-free? The answer is yes. Masa harina is made from corn that does not have any gluten.
So if you are gluten intolerant you can eat these Mexican tortillas.
Want to learn more about how to make different types of tortillas take a look at my ultimate how-to-make tortilla guide.
Want to see know how to make corn tortillas? Watch the instruction video so you can follow along. This is really one of the easiest Mexican tortilla recipes you will find.
Corn Tortillas Ingredients
So what do you need to make this recipe? The ingredient list for this homemade corn tortilla’s recipe is very short:
- Masa Harina/Harina de Maiz Blanco Nixtamalizado
- Warm water
For corn tortilla’s you have to use a special corn flour which is called Masa harina or Harina de Maiz Blanco Nixtamalizado as you can read on the bag.
You should not confuse this flour with polenta flour, cornflour, maize flour, or cornstarch.
Want to give your tortillas a different taste Lacey from A Sweet Pea Chef uses lime juice in her recipe.
Nixtamalized Masa Harina
Nixtamalization is a process to prepare corn. The corn is cooked and soaked (for 12 hours) in limewater then washed before it is hulled.
This process makes the corn easier to ground, removes toxic matter from corn, increased the nutritional value of the flour and it also makes the corn easier to digest.
This nixtamalization is a complicated process but fortunately, with Masa harina the flour is already been treated and ready to use.
Masa harina can be white, yellow, and blue. This recipe uses the white variety but the yellow flour is even nicer with this happy yellow color.
As soon as you open the package it smells like hard shell tacos, which makes preparing tortillas even more fun.
Where To Find Masa Harina?
You can try to find your masa harina in the international food aisle, Mexican grocery store, or online.
How To Make Corn Tortillas
Start with the masa harina and put in a mixing bowl, add the salt, and stir. Then add warm water to activate the cornflour.
Combine with a wooden spoon first and then knead into a consistent dough by hand. Shape into a big ball and cover with a towel.
Let the dough rest for 1 hour. You can leave it outside of the fridge while it rests.
This recipe yields about 10 Mexican tortillas so cut the ball of dough into 10 equal pieces the size of a golf ball. Knead the dough balls thoroughly.
To make life easier you can use a tortilla press to shape equal-sized tortillas. Take a dough ball and put it in the plastic freezer bag.
Now put it between the tortilla press and press.
Then remove the corn tortilla from the plastic bag as soon as you have pressed it else it can be more difficult to get it from the plastic.
Either lay the corn tortillas apart (cover them to prevent them from going dry) or press a tortilla just before you put them in a hot pan.
Heat a skillet to high and bake the tortilla. You do not need any baking products. Just heat a pan to high heat and put it in the pan.
Bake for about 1 minute and turn to bake the other side for a minute as well. Store in a clean kitchen towel or tortilla warmer to keep warm.
Make A Corn Tortilla With A Tortilla Press
If you have a tortilla press or made a tortilla press yourself here is how you use it to make tortillas.
- Take a piece of baking paper or cut a freezer bag open and place it on one side of the tortilla press
- Place a dough ball in the center of the tortilla press on the baking paper
- Close the tortilla press to flatten the dough
- Open the tortilla press. Place your hand on the tortilla and turn it upside down so you can peel the plastic or baking paper away
- Make certain you have a skillet or a cast-iron griddle on high heat so you can cook the tortilla straight away
Make A Tortilla By Hand With A Rolling Pin
If you do not own a tortilla press you can use a rolling pin as well.
- Put a dough ball on a piece of baking paper
- Fold the baking paper but make sure you have enough space around the dough ball
- With a rolling pin roll the dough ball into a tortilla. The tortilla may not all have the same shape but this is just fine
- Open the top of the baking paper. Put your hand on the tortilla and turn it upside down so you can remove the baking paper
- Heat your skillet or a cast-iron griddle on high and cook the tortilla
Other Corn Tortilla Recipes
There are a lot of recipes that include corn tortillas. Take a look at these recipes:
- Spicy oven-baked corn tortilla chips
- How to make crunchy corn tacos shells
- Pullen Chicken bean stew filling with corn tortillas
- Jalapeño beef big plate nachos
- Shrimp taquitos
How to Store Corn Tortillas
Tortilla’s taste best when you serve them immediately. You can store them in a couple of ways:
- Refrigerator – let the tortillas cool completely and store in the fridge for up to one week. When storing in the refrigerator put the corn tortilla’s in an airtight container
- Freezer – you can store your tortilla’s in the freezer in a freezer bag or plastic container
Have fun with this how-to-make corn tortillas recipe!
If you like to try other kinds of tortilla recipes then check out our ultimate guide how to make tortillas.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
How to make corn tortillas with just 3 ingredients and gluten free. These are easy to make with or with a tortilla press.
- 2 cups of Masa Harina
- 1½ cups of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Put the 2 cups of Masa Harina in a bowl
- Add the salt to the bowl and stir thoroughly
- Add 1 cup of hot water and stir again with a wooden spoon before adding the additional ½ cup of hot water
- Knead the dough into a consistent ball
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel
- Rest the dough for 1 hour
- Create balls the size of a golf bal
- Heat a large skillet pan
- Cover the tortilla press with plastic and press the tortilla
- Cook the tortilla on medium to high heat for about 1 minute until the tortillas get some color (no baking product required). Turn and bake the other side of the tortilla for also 1 minute
- Store in a tortilla warmer or keep in a clean kitchen cloth
Shop This Recipe
Make sure the water is hot to properly activate the Masa Harina. I use a non stick pan to cook the tortillas without any oil or butter. You can store the tortillas in a ziplock plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or longer in the freezer. You can heat them in a pan. Also in the microwave using a ziplock bag or cloth to cover them.
Calories: 50; Fat: 1g; Carbs: 11g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 38mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g;