It is really easy to make and perfect to serve alongside your Mexican dishes or turn into a full meal. So are you ready to learn how to make Mexican street corn rice? Let’s get started!
Perfect Mexican Side Dish
If you are cooking rice like in this recipe I always recommend using basmati rice.
It is long grain rice that cooks dry and it has tons of flavor. That get’s even better when you add Mexican street corn.
Mexican street corn salad is one of our most popular recipes and to make it even better you can turn it into this tasty side dish as well.
Can You Make Mexican Street Corn Rice Into A Meal?
Absolutely. It is very easy to turn this side dish into a full meal. All you need to do is add some of your favorite protein.
I like to mix the protein with the Mexican street corn rice dish.
You can add some simple add-ons like:
- Shredded chicken
- Rotisserie chicken
Mexican Street Corn Rice Ingredients
To make this rice side dish you need a hand full of ingredients. Put them on your grocery shopping list and have them ready when you start:
- Basmati rice
- Vegetable oil
- Pickled jalapeño
- Cotija cheese
- Lime juice
- Chili powder
- Dried coriander
How To Make Mexican Street Corn Rice
While the rice is cooking mince the garlic and finely dice the jalapeño.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium and add the vegetable oil.
Add the garlic jalapeños to the skillet. Stir to saute the garlic and jalapeño until soft and translucent.
Add the corn. Cook and stir it occasionally so the corn can toast and turn golden brown. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
Take the skillet off the heat and let the corn cool for a few minutes.
Transfer the corn into a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, the lime juice, the minced jalapeño, the dried coriander
Crumble the Cotija cheese and add the chili powder. Stir again.
Now add the Mexican street corn to the rice. Use a fork or spoon to stir the corn through the rice.
Can You Make Mexican Street Corn Rice Ahead?
Yes, you can make this street corn rice recipe ahead. Cool it down fast preferably within 1 hour then store it properly.
Reheat when you are ready to serve it. Make sure you reheat the rice until steaming hot.
By cooling it fast and storing it properly you can prevent bacteria that are in uncooked rice to develop.
How To Store Rice
As said rice has to be cooled fast and then stored. You have several options to store rice:
You have several options to store rice:
- Refrigerator – you can store rice perfectly in the refrigerator and use it the next day. Never leave rice in the fridge for longer than 1 day. Store it in an airtight container or a resealable bag
- Freezer – if you want to keep it longer you can store it in the freezer. This is preferred. Put it in an airtight container or freezer-friendly resealable bag. Label it before you store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. Longer is possible but can have an impact on the moisture and taste of the rice
How To Reheat Mexican Street Corn Rice
You have several ways to reheat Mexican street corn rice:
- Cast Iron Skillet – the easiest way to reheat Mexican corn rice is using a cast iron skillet. Preheat the skillet to medium. Add vegetable oil then add the street corn rice. Do not heat too high at first. Stir the rice through. Then increase the heat and stir continuously so it will not stick to the pan. The rice should be at least 165℉
- Air Fryer – you can also reheat it in an Air Fryer. Preheat the Air Fryer to 320℉ for 3 minutes before adding the cake pan with rice into the Air Fryer basket. Air Fry for 8 minutes. Spray the rice with cooking spray or drizzle olive oil and stir the rice to coat the grains with oil. Increase the temperature to 360℉ and Air Fry for another 5 minutes stir and serve
- Oven – preheat the oven to 380℉ and put the leftover Mexican street corn rice in a oven dish. Cover with foil and heat for 10 minutes. Take the foil off. Stir the rice through and heat for another 5 minutes. If the internal temperature is 165℉ it is ready to serve
More Rice Side Dishes
If you love rice take a look at these dishes as well:
Made a recipe please tag @thetortiliachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST, and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and updates.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Mexican street corn rice is a tasty side dish for your Mexican meals. Super easy to make. You can turn it into a full meal
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ⅔ cup corn
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tablespoon diced picked jalapeño
- 1½ crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried coriander
- Start cooking the rice
- While the rice is cooking mince the garlic and finely dice the jalapeño
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium and add the vegetable oil
- Add the garlic jalapeños to the skillet. Stir to sauté the garlic and jalapeño until soft and translucent
- Add the corn. Cook and stir it occasionally so the corn can toast and turn golden brown. This takes about 10-15 minutes
- Take the skillet of the heat and let the corn cool for a few of minutes. Transfer the corn into a large bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, the lime juice, the minced jalapeño, the dried coriander
- Crumble the Cotija cheese and add the chili powder. Stir again
- Now add the Mexican street corn to the rice. Use a fork or spoon to stir the corn through the rice
Shop This Recipe
You have several options like cooking the rice in a rice cooker, Instant Pot, Air Fryer or in the oven.
Calories: 223; Fat: 8g; Carbs: 34g; Protein: 5g;