Amongst other things, a torta is a cake, a flatbread, pastry, or bread. In this recipe, the torta is a chicken sandwich. Are you ready to learn how to make Mexican tortas? Let’s get started!
Simple Torta Recipe
Tortas are popular throughout Mexico and are made with a bolillo bread roll or a pan Frances. A torta is also called a lonche and is a great lunch recipe.
This lunch recipe is a must make no exaggeration there. This will be a family favorite I can promise you because who doesn’t love a loaded sandwich.
You can eat them hot or cold furthermore this sandwich looks very similar to a torta Cubano which is toasted on a pressed grill.
Today we are making a torta de Milanese with a bolillo with breaded chicken. Have no fear because it is really easy to make with the best chicken schnitzel.
Different Kinds Of Tortas
Tortas come in many different shapes and sizes and there are easily a million torta versions. As you can see below fill it with your favorite toppings.
Here you find some examples of different types of tortas:
- Torta de jamón – this is a sandwich filled with ham
- Torta de huevo – a sandwich filled with scrambled eggs
- Tortope – shredded chicken on a thick sope tortilla
- Easy torta de aguacate – bolillos filled with avocado or guacamole
- Torta Cubana – filled with meat and lots of ham and cheese
- Torta de ahogada – fried chicken or pork drowned in red sauce on a french roll
Mexican Torta Ingredients
You need quite an extensive list of ingredients to make this Mexican torta. Put the following items on your grocery shopping list:
- Homemade Mexican bolillos
- Chicken breast
- Refried beans
- Shredded cheese
How To Make Torta Mexicana
To make this sandwich you start with the chicken breast. Cut it in half and put it on a cutting board. Put foil on top of the chicken and thin them with a rolling pin.
Gently pound the chicken breast flat. Then whisk the egg in a big bowl and let the halved chicken breasts soak in the beaten egg for half a minute.
Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and coat the chicken on both sides. So make sure the chicken breast is completely coated.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium-hot and add the oil. When hot cook each chicken schnitzel golden brown for a couple of minutes on both sides.
Take the cooked chicken out of the pan and set it aside.
Cut the bolillos lengthwise and then spread mayonnaise on one side. The second step is to add a tablespoon of refried beans on top of the mayonnaise.
Then add the crispy chicken schnitzel Milanese to the refried beans. Now sprinkle the chicken with:
- Shredded cheese
- Pickled jalapeños
- A big dollop of guacamole
Put the top of the bolillo on the guacamole and you are ready to serve your Mexican tortas.
Are Tortas Served Hot Or Cold?
You can serve a torta hot and cold. When served hot you can serve them as a Cubano.
A Cubano is a flat pressed grilled sandwich.
This is what you do with a hot torta as well. You put it on a grill or griddle and press it down so all the ingredients can become warm.
Leave it on the grill for a couple of minutes and then turn so the other side can get those charred lines on it.
If necessary you can turn the sandwich again until hot.
When served cold you serve them at room temperature. You take a fresh-baked roll and layer the ingredients cold and serve it.
How To Keep A Torta From Getting Soggy?
A torta is best eaten straight away but you can take it on the go.
The bollilo gets soggy when all juices from the chicken and toppings go into the soft bread.
To prevent this cut the bread bun in half and toast them in a toaster. Then add all of the toppings and wrap the torta in plastic wrap.
This will keep your sandwich from going soft and soggy.
How To Store Tortas?
If you want to store your tortas it is best to keep the ingredients separate. Guacamole e.g. can be stored in the fridge or freezer but will turn brown when exposed to air.
- Refrigerator – it is recommended to store the bread outside the fridge as it loses moisture inside a fridge. Store the chicken, refried beans, and guacamole in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. Assemble the sandwich when ready to serve
- Freeze – you can store all the ingredients in the freezer or an assembled torta in the freezer. Keep in mind that the guacamole can change color when thawed
How To Reheat A Torta?
The easiest way to reheat a torta is to use a grill or griddle. Let the torta thaw if frozen else assemble it.
Preferably leave the guacamole of the sandwich before reheating.
- Grill or griddle – Put the sandwich on a heated grill or griddle and let it warm through
- Air Fryer – you can heat the sandwich in an Air Fryer. Wrap it in aluminum foil and heat it in a preheated Air Fryer to 375℉. Heat for 10 minutes or until hot then add the guacamole
- Oven – heat the sandwich in the oven. Preheat to 400℉ then add the wrapped torta into the oven and heat for 12-15 minutes or until hot
What Do You Serve With Mexican Tortas?
You can eat these sandwich rolls all on their own or you can serve them with:
More Tasty Sandwich Recipes
If you love a good sandwich you have to take a look at these delicious recipes:
I hope you like this torta Milanese recipe as much as I do and give it a try. You will love it!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS IN YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a delicious torta sandwich? Try these Mexican tortas or torta Milanesa as this sandwich is made with a chicken schnitzel and lots more.
- 2 Mexican bolillos
- 1 chicken breast halved
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons refried beans
- 3 tablespoons guacamole
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Cut the chicken breast in half and thin with a rolling pin
- Whisk the egg in a big bowl and soak the halved chicken breasts in the beaten egg. Put breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and coat the chicken on both sides
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet and add the oil. When hot cook the chicken schnitzel in a couple of minutes on both sides. Take out of the pan and set aside
- Cut the bolillos lengthwise and spread mayonnaise one side. Add a tablespoon refried beans
- Then add the crispy chicken schnitzel and sprinkle with shredded cheese, pickled jalapeños and a big dollop of guacamole
- Put the top of the bolillo on the guacamole and you are ready to serve your torta Mexicana
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 614; Fat: 27g; Carbs: 52g; Protein: 39g;