Seriously try it once and you will be making it over and over again. This one-pot dish that you can eat as a side or as a main dish. Ready to learn how to make mushroom rice? Let’s get started!
Easy Mushroom Rice
Rice is such a delicious side dish. Whether it is cooked, fried, or sauteed you can eat rice with just about anything.
This recipe tastes best with fragrant rice. They have a great flavor, cook dry, and are long grain. You can best use:
- Basmati rice
- Jasmine rice
- Pandan rice
Usually, I cook rice in a rice cooker but this recipe works well in a skillet. Take a non-stick skillet to bake the rice this works best.
This recipe is made in Paella style so open pan/skillet without using a lid. The liquids slowly evaporate while the rice cooks.
Do not cook the rice on high as it will not get enough time for the rice to absorb the liquids while it cooks.
Mushroom Rice Ingredients
This easy rice recipe takes a limited number of ingredients. Take a look at what you have to put on your grocery shopping list:
- Basmati rice
- Olive oil
- Unsalted (vegan) butter
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh parsley
How To Make Mushroom Rice
To make this recipe start by chopping the onion and finely mincing the garlic. Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Put the onion in the pan and stir. Then the garlic and stir until soft and translucent.
Now add butter before you add the mushrooms and combine with the onion mixture bake until golden brown.
Then add the uncooked rice to the skillet.
Then add half of the vegetable stock so the rice can absorb the broth. Add the remaining vegetable stock to the skillet.
Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a medium to a low simmer so you give the rice time to cook. You do not need a lid.
If the vegetable stock evaporates within 5 minutes you can add up to an additional cup with stock or water.
Cook for 15 minutes or until all of the liquids have evaporated. At the end of the cooking time, you can add the sliced scallion and fresh parsley.
Finally, stir the rice when dry and fluff it up. Serve directly.
Should I rinse my Basmati rice?
You can rinse the Basmati rice with warm water to remove the starch before you add it to the skillet.
You rinse the rice to also remove debris that might be in the rice. Rinse in a sieve until the color coming off the rise is clear.
Especially if you are doing these one-pot rice dishes it is advised to rinse. When cooking rice in the rice cooker I always rinse the rice.
However, it is not the end of the world if you forget to rinse the rice and put it into your recipe without rinsing.
Can You Make Mushroom Rice Ahead?
Yes, you can make mushroom rice ahead. Just like with regular cooked white rice or fried rice you make this recipe ahead.
You have to be careful with storing the mushroom rice. It is important to cook it down fast and store it straight away.
Rice can contain bacteria if not stored properly which can make you sick. So it is important to properly store and reheat the rice so you can enjoy this rice again.
How To Store Mushroom Rice
You have several ways to store leftover or made ahead mushroom rice. In all cases cool the rice completely before storing
- Refrigerator – you can store this rice dish in the fridge. Put the cooled rice in an airtight food container and store it for up to a day.
- Freezer – want to store it longer it is recommended to store it in the freezer. Put the mushroom rice in a freezer-friendly food container and store it for at least 1 month
How To Reheat Mushroom Rice
You have several ways to reheat mushroom rice:
- Cast Iron Skillet – a cast-iron skillet is a great way to reheat rice dishes. Preheat to medium and let the rice heat along with the skillet. Do not overheat because the rice will stick to the pan. Stir continuously to keep the rice from sticking to the pan. The rice should be steaming hot
- Wok – just like with a skillet you can reheat your mushroom rice in a wok. Heat the wok to medium-low and add the rice. Stir the rice continuously through the wok and let it heat. The rice should be steaming and hot to the touch
- Oven – you can heat your rice in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400℉ and put the leftover mushroom rice in an oven dish and cover with aluminum foil. Heat for 20 minutes and remove the aluminum foil for the last 7 to 5 minutes
- Air Fryer – you can also reheat your mushroom in an Air Fryer. Preheat your Air Fryer at 360℉ and put the leftover rice in a cake barrel. Put the barrel in the Air Fryer and heat for 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes
- Microwave – you can heat your rice in a microwave. Put the rice in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with plastic wrap. Heat for 2 minutes on high, stir it through and check to see if the rice is hot. If not extend with 30 seconds and check again
Serve Mushroom Rice With
This side dish is great to serve as a full meal or you can serve it with a lot of great main courses like:
More Side Dishes
If you love rice you can find even more side dish recipes here but you can also find a lot of other great recipes:
- Mexican rice – spicy Tex Mex rice is a great side dish
- Keto fried rice – if you want to eat low carb you can try this keto fried rice made with cauliflower
- Mexican potatoes – the easiest spicy potatoes crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Made with great seasoning
- Crockpot mashed potatoes – get the most fluffy and soft mashed potatoes you ever tried. Made in your slow cooker
- Mexican fries – oven baked fries seasoned to perfection
I hope you love this mushroom rice recipe as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
This easy mushroom rice recipe is amazing. A one-pot recipe with lots of flavor, a little butter and fluffy rice.
- 1 cup basmati or other long-grain rice
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ - 3 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted (vegan) butter
- 1 - 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely diced
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Put the diced onion in the pan and stir. Then the minced garlic and stir until soft and translucent
- Add butter before you add the mushrooms and combine with the onion mixture bake until golden brown
- Then add the uncooked rice to the skillet
- Then add half of the vegetable stock so the rice can absorb the broth. Add the remaining vegetable stock to the skillet
- Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a medium simmer so you give the rice time to cook. If the vegetable stock evaporates within 5 minutes add an additional 1 to 1½ cup with stock or water. You do not need a lid
- Cook for 15 minutes or until all of the liquids have evaporated. At the end of the cooking time, you can add the sliced scallion and fresh parsley
- Stir the rice when dry and fluff it up. Serve immediately
Shop This Recipe
You can wash the Basmati rice with warm water to remove the starch before you add it to the skillet but this is not necessary.
Calories: 191; Fat: 13.3g; Carbs: 17g; Protein: 4.4g;