This salsa cruda is great with nacho chips, a delicious topping on your tacos, a super tasty side dish, or spice up your salad. Basically, you can make any recipe better with salsa Mexicana. It stays fresh for about a week so use it on any of your dishes. You will be amazed at how good this dish tastes. So, are you ready to learn how to make pico de gallo at home? Let’s get started!
A Delicious Salsa Recipe
This Pico de gallo recipe is an easy Mexican salsa style dip which is also called salsa Fresca, salsa cruda, or salsa Mexicana as the color of this recipe represents the flag of Mexico.
This dip is similar to salsa but salsa is more liquid and has a more creamy texture. In case you are wondering what the difference is between salsa and salsa Fresca.
Pico de gallo is more chunky as it is made with chopped raw tomatoes and onions.
Salsa is usually cooked and made with ingredients like roasted tomatoes and blended to get that creamy consistency.
The onion adds a little sharpness and adds lots of flavors. It is packed with antioxidants which basically means it is really good for you.
It is not a very spicy recipe but you can add some peppers to it and heat it up.
This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients, it is vegan and gluten-free. It also fits perfectly in a Keto or low carb diet.
Pico De Gallo Ingredients
If you want to make this salsa Mexicana recipe you only need a handful of ingredients. Make sure you have the following ingredients at hand:
- Roma tomatoes
- White onion
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Jalapeno Peppers
How to Make Pico De Gallo
To make this recipe is actually very easy. Start with cutting the Roma tomatoes in four and deseeding the tomatoes to prevent a watery salsa.
Use really ripe tomatoes as this adds more flavor to the dip. Now cut the tomatoes into really small chunks.
Then take the onion and garlic and finely chop both. Try to chop it really fine. The fresh cilantro is next and you can chop it finely as well.
You have to be able to see the cilantro. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it through thoroughly.
Finally, add the lime juice and some fresh ground salt. You do not need a lot of salt just a pinch for that extra kick.
Can You Make Pico De Gallo Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can easily make this salsa Fresca in advance. The flavors of this salsa only get better when you keep it longer.
You do need to keep it chilled to keep it fresh.
How to Store Pico De Gallo
You have a number of ways you can store this salsa:
- Refrigerator – you can store the salsa in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. This way you can keep it fresh for up to a week
- Freezer – store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Put the pico de gallo in an airtight container. Be sure to drain any excess liquid from your pico de Gallo when you thaw the salsa before serving
Serve Salsa Mexicana With
If you are wondering what you can eat with this salsa here are some suggestions:
- Homemade tortilla chips – make your favorite tortilla chips and scoop up this pico de gallo
- Vegetable stir-fry tacos – serve pico de gallo with these delicious vegan vegetable stir-fry tacos
- Ground turkey tacos – add it to your perfectly cooked ground turkey when you assemble the taco
- Summer salad – sprinkle some of this salsa Fresca on this salad and you are good to go
- Vegetarian wrap – make your favorite vegetarian wrap and add a couple of tablespoons of this salsa Mexicana to it
- Mexican hot dogs – these hotdogs are also known as Sonoran hotdogs which are bacon-wrapped hotdogs, with avocado and this salsa
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Have fun making this easy pico de gallo recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS IN YOUR INBOX!
Easy pico de gallo recipe, this salsa Mexicana is tasty, simple and fast. Super delicious with just a handful of ingredients. Try it!
- 5 small roma tomatoes
- ½ small white onion
- ½ small red onion
- ¼ jalapeño
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Cut the tomatoes in 4 and deseed the tomatoes
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic
- Put in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Add the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Stir again and serve
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 17; Fats: 0.1g; Carbs: 3.5g; Protein: 1g;