The stove is doing all the hard work while you just have to stir and add some ingredients and stir some more. All you then need is a little patience and you will be rewarded with a tasty dish. So are you ready to learn how to make pulled chicken tortilla bean stew? Let’s get started!
Chicken is without a doubt one of my favorite foods. It is for to most part very lean, it is a great source of protein, very versatile and it tastes great with herbs and spices.
It goes well in all sorts of dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
For this recipe, I used chicken breast but you can also use chicken thighs with or without bones. In any case, the chicken is cooked without the skin.
Chicken breast shreds very easily that is why I use it. If you decide to use chicken thighs with bones the cooking time will increase because it takes longer to get it off the bone.
Pulled chicken tortilla bean stew ingredients
To make this bean stew recipe you need only a handful of ingredients on your shopping list. Make sure to get:
- Chicken breast
- Chicken stock cube
- Bell pepper
- Sunflower oil
- Tomato puree
- Kidney beans (250 grams)
- Sriracha sauce or hot peppers
- Homemade corn tortillas
How to make pulled chicken bean stew
Start with shredding the chicken breast. To give the dish more flavor I used chicken stock to boil the chicken breast but it is not a necessity.
You can use plain water to boil the chicken before shredding. I used the chicken stock in the stew as well so if you do boil the chicken in stock do not throw it away when you are done cooking the chicken.
Boil the chicken breast for about 20 to 25 minutes. Shred the chicken using two forks and pull it apart.
Then it is time for the sauce. Like a lot of my recipes, this one can’t do without some bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Heat some oil and pan fry it until soft.
If you like spicy you can add chili peppers or Sriracha sauce (it is my go-to). Then add the kidney beans and add the chicken stock.
Let it simmer for 25 minutes until the stew is nice and soft.
How to store
Make a big batch in one go and put it in the freezer. If you store it in the refrigerator overnight it tastes even better as the flavors will infuse the chicken even more.
You can store the stew and corn tortillas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 days.
How to make Pulled chicken tortilla bean stew filling
Want to see how to make pulled chicken tortilla bean stew filling? Watch the recipe video with step by step instructions to make this recipe from scratch so you can follow along.
I hope you enjoy this how to make pulled chicken tortilla bean stew filling recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Pulled chicken tortilla bean stew filling is a tasty dish that is very easy to make with less than 10 ingredients. Join me in making this recipe.
- 200 grams chicken breast
- ⅓ chicken stock cube
- 1 cup of hot water to dissolve the chicken stock
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1 small tin (70 grams) of tomato puree
- 1 tin of kidney beans (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce or hot peppers (if you like it spicy)
- 2 home made corn tortillas
- Bring water to the boil and crumble the chicken stock cube in the water.
- Add the chicken breast to the boiling water and cook for 25 minutes and a shimmering heat.
- Take the chicken out of the boiling water and shred it using two forks.
- Finely dice the onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a Dutch oven on medium to high heat and fry the onion, pepper and garlic.
- Add the tomato puree and a cup of chicken stock.
- If you like spicy you can add the hot peppers or Sriracha now.
- Then add the shredded chicken and stir thoroughly before adding the kidney beans.
- Let the stew simmer for at least another 20-25 minutes before serving.
Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly and cook it in a rice cooker. During the cooking process water will evaporate so add chicken stock or water if necessary.
Calories: 470; Fat: 18.7g; Carbs: 43.1g; Protein: 31.7g;