If you ever order these at your favorite Mexican restaurant you can now make them at home but even better. Are you ready to learn how to make Refried Beans? Let’s get started!
This might be the easiest refried beans you ever come across. With just 6 ingredients you can have this recipe on the table in no time and that is what we like!
It gives flavor and texture to your tortilla recipes. You can almost use it like a dip similar to this black bean salsa.
This recipe is gluten-free and it is vegan so what more do you want in your side dish.
Why Are Refried Beans Called Refried Beans?
You may think that the refried part in this bean recipe has something to do with the beans being fried twice.
That, however, is not the case. This dish is called frijoles refritos in Spanish. Refritos means fried well so the beans have to cook long enough to soften.
So you cook them in water. Originally this recipe would be made with dried beans but you can easily make this recipe with canned ones.
Refried Beans Ingredients
To make this tasty side dish you need a limited number of ingredients. Take a look at the list below that you need to get from your grocery store:
- Pinto beans
- Small Onion
- Chili powder
- Olive oil
How To Make Refried Beans
To make this recipe start with heating a skillet or pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, mince the garlic, finely chop the onion and add to the oil.
Stir the onion mix continuously for about a minute. Then add the pinto beans with the aquafaba liquid from the can.
Let them warm through.
Take a fork or a potato masher and mash the pinto beans into a mash. Now it is time to add in the cumin and chili powder.
Keep on stirring them and mash until you have the texture you desire. It should resemble soft mashed potatoes. This will take about 5 minutes.
Season them with a pinch of salt to taste and they are ready to serve.
What Type Of Beans Are Used For Refried Beans?
Traditionally this recipe is made with dried pinto beans that are left in water overnight however you have options.
If you want to make it fast then use canned ones as these are already nice and soft. You can also make this recipe with:
- Red kidney beans
- Black beans
- Navy beans
Can You Freeze Refried Beans?
Yes, you can! Refried beans are a great dish to freeze! As opposed to a lot of dishes this dish doesn’t change the texture.
Do not leave it in the freezer too long else the beans can become a bit dry. If they are dry add a bit of water or olive oil when you reheat them.
How To Reheat Refried Beans?
You have several ways to reheat refried beans:
- Cast-iron skillet – you can reheat refried beans in a cast-iron skillet. Preheat the skillet to medium. Add the beans into the skillet and add one or two tablespoons and stir it through. Warm it through and serve
- Instant Pot – you can also reheat your refried beans in two ways in an Instant Pot. Either select the keep warm option and add the beans. Stir every couple of minutes and check to see if they are warm enough. Put a cup of water in your Instant Pot and add the beans into a heat-resistant bowl. Put it on a trivet and select Manual or Pressure cook for 2 minutes and quick release
- Oven – you can also preheat the oven to 350℉. Put the beans in an oven-safe dish and cover with aluminum foil. Warm for 7 minutes or until warm
- Microwave – you can also warm your beans in the microwave. Put it in a microwave-safe dish and heat in bursts of 30 seconds or until warmed through
How To Serve Refried Beans
You can serve this dish with a lot of great meals. So serve these them with:
I hope you love this side dish bean dish as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for the easiest refried beans you ever tasted? Take a look at this refried beans recipe. Only requires 6 ingredients and is done in no time.
- 1 can pinto beans
- Small Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil
- Heat a skillet or pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, mince the garlic, finely chop the onion and add to the oil
- Stir the onion mix continuously for about a minute. Then add the pinto beans with the aquafaba liquid from the can. Let the beans warm through
- Take a fork or a potato masher and mash the pinto beans into a mash. Now it is time to add in the cumin and chili powder
- Keep on stirring the beans and mash until you have the texture you desire. It should resemble soft mashed potatoes. This will take about 5 minutes
- Season your beans with a pinch of salt to taste and they are ready to serve
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 239; Fat: 8.3g; Carbs: 33g; Protein: 10.5g;