Because this salsa is smooth, it is spicy, it is made of roasted tomatoes, it is delicious and it is vegan. Want to learn how you can make tomato salsa? Let’s get started.
The Best Roasted Tomato Salsa Recipe
Because let’s face your salsa needs a little bit of heat when you dip your tortilla chips or pita chips into it.
Not, I need a fire extinguisher kind of heat but a little bit to grab the next chip and eat on.
The most important part of this recipe is two-fold you need sweet plum cherry tomatoes and you need a broiler.
When you put these tomatoes under the broiler with some salt on it you will get an intense sweet flavor.
The broiler gives the tomatoes a grilled smoky taste you do not get from any jarred salsa. Believe me, I tried many, many salsa’s and none have this flavor.
A lot of the salsas in a jar, are too watery for my taste that is why I never add any water when I blend the salsa.
Tomato salsa should be chunky, thick, and rustic.
So it is no problem when you see the onion, scallion, or garlic in your salsa at least then you know what you are eating.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is. Cut the veggies, broil, blend and you are ready to serve. This salsa recipe is vegan and fits a low-carb or Keto diet.
Tomato Salsa Ingredients
If you want to make this super easy roasted tomato salsa recipe you need a handful of ingredients. Make sure you put the following ingredients on your shopping list:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chili pepper or Jalapeño
How To Make Tomato Salsa
For this recipe, I choose cherry tomatoes for the smooth spicy roasted tomato salsa because they are full of juice and have a naturally sweet taste.
However, if you like tomatoes on the vine, Roma tomatoes, or plum tomatoes you can use them as well.
This recipe doesn’t require a lot of work. Some slicing and dicing and the oven will then do the heavy lifting for you.
Put your oven on broil before you start slicing the ingredients. Half the (cherry) tomatoes and put them cut side up on a baking tray.
Sprinkle with salt. Cut the onion in thick slices. Half the chili pepper and put the onion, garlic cloves, and spring onion on the tray as well.
Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes turning the garlic and pepper after 10 minutes.
Let the ingredients cool down a little before putting them in the blender. Remove stem and the seeds from the red chili pepper before adding to the blender as well.
Then blend thoroughly for a couple of minutes. If the salsa is too thick you can add a little water, however, I like thick salsa so I kept it as is.
Et voila here you have smooth spicy roasted tomato salsa. Doesn’t this look truly delicious?
How To Store Tomato Salsa
You can store tomato salsa in a number of ways. Always let the salsa cool completely before storing:
- Refrigerator – If you want to make tomato salsa in advance you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days. Eating the salsa as fresh as possible is recommended to make the salsa on the day
- Freezer – You can freeze this tomato salsa so make a big batch and freezer store. Thaw in the fridge well in advance when you want to eat it. Put it in an airtight food container and store for up to 3 months
Serve Roasted Tomato Salsa With
You can eat this salsa with anything but try it with:
See How To Make Oven Roasted Tomato Salsa
Want to see how you can make roasted tomato salsa? Watch the instruction video below:
I hope you enjoy this roasted tomato salsa recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Smooth Spicy roasted tomato salsa. It's smooth, spicy and made of roasted tomatoes. Great to add a kick to your tortilla chips, tacos or quesadillas.
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- ½ medium onion
- ½ chili pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 spring onion
- 1 bunch of chives
- Put oven on broil
- Half the (cherry) tomatoes, put them cut side up on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt
- Cut the onion in thick slices
- Half the chili pepper
- Put the onion, chili pepper, garlic cloves and spring onion on the tray as well
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes in the oven turn the garlic and chili pepper after 10 minutes
- Let the ingredients cool down slightly
- Remove stem and the seeds from the red chili pepper
- Put all the vegetables in the blender
- Add ½ tbps of lemon juice
- Add ½ tsp of (coconut) sugar
- Blend thoroughly and you are done
- Cut some chives and sprinkle on top of the salsa
Shop This Recipe
If the salsa is to thick you can add some water.
Calories: 16; Fat: 0.1g; Carbs: 3.6g; Protein: 0.9g;