You can eat them on their own, with a dip, for breakfast or as a side dish. Want to learn how you can make the best Chinese scallion pancakes with just 5 ingredients? Let’s get started!
This recipe shows you how versatile tortillas really are. The base of this recipe is that of a regular tortilla.
However, with just two small additions you get the best side dish, snack, or Chinese scallion pancake with just 5 ingredients you can imagine.
It has an Asian flavor and is also known as Cong You Bing. If you want to know how you can best serve them, read on.
These pancakes are vegan and dairy-free.
Want to see how you can make the best Chinese scallion pancakes with just 5 ingredients? Watch the video instructions on this page and follow along.
Chinese Scallion Pancakes Ingredients
Your shopping list is really short for this recipe and most likely you have all the ingredients in your kitchen cabinet:
- Sesame oil
You can either use sesame oil to bake the scallion pancakes or vegetable oil. I use vegetable oil for the pan-frying of the scallion pancakes.
How To Make The Best Chinese Scallion Pancakes
You have two options when making the dough by hand or with a food processor. This time I used the food processor but you can easily do it by hand.
It will only take a little longer as you have to knead the ingredients into an elastic dough by hand.
Put the flour in the food processor and add the salt. Put the lid on and combine the ingredients in the food processor.
Slowly add the warm water to the flour and salt and let the machine mix into a consistent dough.
Take the dough out of the food processor onto a floured board and knead it into a ball. Brush some oil into a large bowl and put the dough ball in the bowl.
Cover with some plastic foil set aside in a warm place and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Take the dough ball out of the bowl onto a floured board and cut it into 8 equal parts (the size of a golf ball).
Roll the dough into a tortilla and brush the top with sesame oil. Sprinkle some finely chopped scallions on the tortilla and roll the tortilla in a long snake.
Now coil the snake roll into a round dough bundle. Flour the dough bundle and roll out the coil bundle into a round tortilla pancake.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Put some oil in the pan and brush the surface to cover the pan.
Lay the pancake in the pan. Let it sizzle for 2 minutes flip and cook the other side. In the meanwhile make a new pancake as described above.
Take the cooked pancake out of the pan and store it on a plate. Repeat this process for the remaining 7 pancakes.
How To Store Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Chinese scallion pancakes are great to make ahead in bulk and store so you always have some available to serve with your favorite dishes.
Let the pancakes cool completely before storing:
- Room temperature – you can store these pancakes at room temperature. Just put them in an air-tight food container to keep them fresh. You can roll them up and store them next to each other in the container. You can store them for up to a week
- Freezer – if you want to store them longer you can store them in the freezer. Either roll the pancakes or separate them with some parchment paper. Then store them in an airtight food container for up to 3 months
How To Reheat Scallion Pancakes
You have several ways to reheat these scallion pancakes:
- Cast-iron skillet – you can reheat scallion pancakes using a cast-iron skillet. Preheat the skillet to medium. Brush the skillet with olive oil and heat the pancakes one by one
- Air Fryer – you can warm multiple pancakes. Wrap the pancakes in aluminum foil while you preheat the Air Fryer to 350℉ for 3 minutes. Heat the pancakes for 4 to 6 minutes or until warm
- Oven – you can also heat them using the oven. Preheat the oven to 375℉ and put the pancakes in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil. Heat for 7 minutes or until warm
- Microwave – you can also reheat them in the microwave. Put the pancakes on a plate and cover them with plastic wrap. Heat for 30 seconds, check and repeat until warm
To give you an idea of how you can serve these pancakes here are some serving options:
- Soy sauce – cut the savory scallion pancakes in wedges and serve with some light soy dip sauce
- Sweet chili sauce – these taste also great with some sweet chili sauce
- Breakfast taco – If you are non-vegan make scrambled eggs with scallion, bacon (optional) pepper, and salt. Fold the pancakes like a taco and scoop the scrambled egg in the scallion pancake
- Curry – make the savory scallion pancakes a little bigger and you have the perfect substitute for flatbread, naan, or roti with your curry. These pancakes will go great together with this vegan lentil curry recipe
- Peking duck – instead of using Peking Duck pancakes to wrap Peking duck you can use these pancakes they are the perfect replacement
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
The best Chinese scallion pancakes with just 5 ingredients are soft, chewy and so delicious. You can eat them on their own, with a dip, for breakfast or as a side dish. Want to learn how you can make the best Chinese scallion pancakes with just 5 ingredients? Lets get started!
- 2 ½ cups white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 8 tbsp sesame oil to brush pancakes,
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil to pan bake the pancakes
- Put the flour and salt in the food processor. Close the lid and combine the ingredients in the food processor
- Slowly add the warm water to the flour and salt and let the machine mix into a consistent dough. Take the dough out of the food processor onto a floured board and knead into a ball
- Brush some oil into a bowl and put the dough ball in the bowl. Cover with some plastic wrap, set aside in a warm place and let it rest for at least 30 minutes
- Take the dough ball out of the bowl onto a floured board and cut into 8 equal parts (size of a golf ball)
- Roll the dough into a tortilla. Brush the top with sesame oil. Sprinkle some finely chopped scallions on the tortilla and roll the tortilla in a long snake
- Coil the snake roll into round dough bundle. Flour the dough bundle and roll out the coil bundle into a round tortilla pancake
- Pre heat a skillet over medium high heat. Put some oil in the pan and brush the surface to cover the pan
- Lay the pancake in the pan. Let it sizzle for 2 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 more minutes. Take the pancake out of pan and store on a plate
Shop This Recipe
Calories: 189; Fat: 5.5g; Carbs: 30.4g; Protein: 4.2g;